2019 Annual Meeting
Friday, March 15, 2019
David L. Lawrence Convention Center, room 409
Co-Chairs: Susan Murphy, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi and Nikki Caswell, East Carolina University
Attending: Board Members: Jen Almjeld (James Madison Univ.), Karen Kuralt (Univ. Arkansas, Little Rock), and Dagmar Scharold (Univ. of Houston-Downtown), Eric Leake (Texas State University-San Marcos); Sam Dunn (Sacramento State), Derek Mueller (Virginia Tech), Lanette L. Cadle (Missouri State Univ.), Christine E. Tulley (Univ. of Findlay).
- Welcome and
update on last year’s activities
- Susan Murphy (co-chair) submitted the 2018 report to Kristen Suchor at NCTE for the CCCC Executive Committee (April 16, 2018).
- Susan Murphy paid for the year of domain name and website hosting ($58.78) on April 16, 2018. Nicole Caswell will pay it in 2019. We have been unable to secure institutional funds for this expense.
- We organized a sponsored panel for 2018 CCCC, “MA Students Performing As Professionals: The Classroom, the Writing Center, and Beyond”
MDCWSS Projects and possible projects
the MDCWSS directory
- We will use the current roster and available listservs to update the directory.
- We can add survey questions (a needs assessment) to the basic directory update.
- We’ll keep the survey open for 3 weeks and send reminders every week)
- Nikki will send the survey this spring.
- Derek will send language from the original data gathering.
- Jen has a grad student who can work w/the data in the fall.
- We should get IRB approval and present our information at 4C’s 2020
- Nikki and Derek are each teaching a research course (Fall 2019, Spring 2020).
- We could invite respondents from previous members.
usage and updating of site
- We could add a list of folks who cd serve as consultants for program reviews
- We could add a list of resources (like CompPile and WAC Clearinghouse)
Assessment for MDCWSS members – include w/survey
- We could have a list of best practices on the website
- Questions might include funding and recruitment of students
- Updating the MDCWSS directory
- Recruit board members and interest. Nikki & Susan are in year 3 of 3. We will need new co-chairs to be elected next year.
2020 sponsored panel ideas
- Jen and Karen will organize the proposal for the 2020 4C’s sponsored panel. It will present the information form the directory update/survey of MA programs.
- The meeting adjourned at 4:45 p.m.